Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2018

DIY Bookmarks

    There are two types of people in the book world: people who use bookmarks, and people who don't. Now, a lot of people call people who don't use bookmarks monsters. I'm not going to go that far, because I used to be one of those people who didn't use bookmarks (I dog-eared pages and also tried to just remember the page number, which worked about as well as you'd think it would). However, sometimes a bookmark is just not available, so you use anything: a receipt, a Post-It note, an old gum wrapper, a piece of paper. And when you do have an actual bookmark, it feels like a luxury. However, I started making my own bookmarks a while ago, and it's surprisingly easy and fun. So naturally, I decided to make a post about how to do it on the blog.

Supplies Needed:

  • Paper
    • This could be cardstock or just any kind of paper, but stronger paper is better
  • Paper cutter, or scissors if you don't have a paper cutter (a paper cutter provides a clean, straight cut)
  • Pencil
  • Eraser
  • Some kind of pen, marker, etc for the design

Step One: Mark the dimensions of the bookmark on the paper
    The bookmark can really be as big or as small as you want. Since I've made bookmarks before, I know the dimensions that I want to use. My advice is to mark with a pencil the boundaries of the bookmark, as shown in the picture:


Step Two: Cut the Paper
    This is fairly self-explanatory, but I'll still include some pictures:




Step Three: Design!
    Before you start designing, you should probably erase the pencil marks just to make it look cleaner. After that, it's really up to you. You can make designs or write quotes from anything or just leave it blank. If you're writing anything, it's a good idea to write it in pencil and then go over it in pen or whatever you're using. I've even used watercolor paints on bookmarks before, but it was harder to do than just drawing:


As you can see, this is a very simple craft that doesn't require much time orf supplies and is a craft you can actually use! Did you end up making DIY bookmarks? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment