Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Jane Eyre Review

Jane Eyre
Author: Charlotte Brontë
Publisher: Smith, Elder, & Co.

Synopsis:
    Orphaned Jane Eyre is sent to Lowood School for girls, and then accepts a governess position at a mansion called Thornfield. She finds herself falling in love with the master of the house, Mr. Rochester, but unbeknownst to her, Mr. Rochester has a secret that could end their relationship.

My thoughts:
    I enjoyed this book a lot, and since it was one of the first classics I've read and understood, it made me want to read more. It had a strong female main character even though it was written in the 1800s, and the phrasing wasn't as formal as some classics are, which makes it harder for me to read and understand them. I found myself on the edge of my seat, waiting to see what happened next, even though the sentence "Reader, I married him" is one of the more famous excerpts from Jane Eyre. Another thing I like about classics is that modern authors have written lots of spinoffs and it's fun to see the twist of the original story and how the two stories compare (for example, I read My Plain Jane in July and loved it!).
    One thing I didn't like about this book was the romance. Mr. Rochester is twice the age of Jane, not to mention that he has anger issues, and honestly I really don't understand what Jane ever saw in him. However, this is kind of expected since the book was written in the 1800s when a relationship like this would have been common, so I let it slide a bit.
    I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys classics, although if you do there's a high chance that you've already read it!
    My rating: 4 out of 5 stars  

No comments:

Post a Comment