Search This Blog

Monday, July 31, 2017

Books Read on Vacation

    
    I recently went on vacation and that's why I've been kind of MIA on this blog. There was no Wifi and bad reception up there, so I wasn't posting on this blog at all.
    Anyway, being my usual bookworm self, I brought 15 books on vacation (they wouldn't all fit in the original bag I had 😂). After reading 8 of them (don't judge, I was quite busy up there!) I decided to do a blog post about which ones I read. Without farther ado, here they are:

Daughters of the Sea: Hannah, by Kathryn Lasky
Hannah wants to be normal but she can see the outline of scales on her legs, she gets seasick if she's away from the sea, and she knows a sea change is coming (upper middle grade).

Matilda Bone, by Karen Cushman
Orphaned Matilda is sent to work for a bonesetter in this novel set in medieval England. Matilda is very religious and could never imagine herself doing chores or helping patients (middle grade).

The Moorchild, by Eloise McGraw
Because Moql is half human and half Moorfolk and can't shape shift, the Folk sent her to be the "child" of two humans, switching her for their real child and making Moql forget that she was Folk. As Moql grows up, she realizes how horrible the Folk have been to her human parents, and sets out to find their real child (middle grade).

Blood Rose Rebellion, by Rosalyn Eves
In a society where the upper class has magic, noble-born Anna is born without it and even accidentally breaks spells (YA).

My Lady Jane, by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows
We all know the real story of Lady Jane Grey: she was queen of England for nine days then was beheaded. But what if she, along with her cousin, King Edward VI, survived? The authors completely rewrote their story (YA).

Across the Universe, by Beth Revis
Amy and her parents are just a few of the many cryo-frozen passengers on the ship Godspeed, which is heading to a new planet. It will take the ship 300 years to travel from Earth to the new planet. Except -- Amy is woken up 50 years early. Who tried to murder her? (YA)

Eliza and her Monsters, by Francesca Zappia
Eliza Mirk is the anonymous creator of Monstrous Sea, a comic with millions of fans. When a new boy named Wallace arrives at school, he turns out to be one of Monstrous Sea's biggest fanfiction writers. When Eliza's secret is revealed to the whole world, her relationship with everyone -- including Wallace -- is ruined. Will she ever be able to recover? (YA)

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, by Ann Brashares
4 friends are spending the summer apart for the first time ever. After finding a pair of pants that somehow fits all 4 of them, they dub them "the Traveling Pants" and promise to mail them to each other over the summer to remind them of each other. (YA)

Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them? 



3 comments:

  1. Hi Claire! Glad to see you back from vacation and blogging again. What is the difference between Middle Grade and Young Adult? It looks like in your picture that you have an eReader. Is there a reason why you don't read all of your books exclusively on the reader, especially when traveling? That would solve your space constraints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Middle grade is meant more for readers in the 8-12 age bracket, whereas YA is for teens and young adults (although adults can read YA too!).
      I have thought about using my Kindle for my books but I have to pay for them, versus getting them for free from my library. I know I can load books from my library onto my Kindle but we need the family's Amazon password, which we have all forgotten.

      Delete
  2. That is a bummer about the Amazon Password! You could bring so many more books that way!

    ReplyDelete