Search This Blog

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Fish in a Tree Review

Fish in a Tree
Author: Lynda Mullay Hunt
Publisher: Penguin Young Readers Group

Synopsis:
    Ally Nickerson has gotten all the way to sixth grade without anybody -- kids, teachers, or parents -- finding out she can't read. She hasn't tried to find any help because after all, how can you help dumb?
    Ally's new teacher sees through Ally's "stupid" facade, and gets her to stay after school for help, while simultaneously shedding light on her gifts. When Ally makes two new friends that aren't "normal" either, she starts learning how to stand up to the bullies that have been making fun of her.

My thoughts:
    This book was a quick read that I thought would be good for younger readers, but older readers could definitely do it to! I found it amazing that Ally was so good at pretending that no one realized she couldn't read until her teacher in sixth grade. That was one of the only things that I thought was unrealistic. Other than that, I thought the characters were super cool (except the bullies) and I really liked Ally's teacher!
    Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment